150th ANNIVERSARy OF OUR DIOCESE!
Let us Rejoice in the Lord! Our Diocese is 150 years old!
For videos, a calendar of coming events, information about our Historic Churches Pilgrimage Program, Convocation 150, links, photos, and more, go to www.cdow.org/150th. Also, follow all the action on social media at www.facebook.com/cdow150th, and @CDOW150th on Twitter and Instagram and www.TheDialog.org.
Our Sesquicentennial Year is Ending! Diocesan 150th Anniversary Closing Mass – March 3rd
You are cordially invited to join Bishop Malooly at the Diocese of Wilmington’s Sesquicentennial Closing Mass on Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3 pm at Saint Elizabeth Church (809 South Broom Street in Wilmington). Gather with Catholics from across Delaware and Maryland’s Eastern Shore to celebrate the conclusion of our year-long anniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Wilmington by Blessed Pope Pius IX on March 3, 1868.
Two history books to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington are available in the parish office.
1. Rejoicing in the Lord is a hard-cover, 336-page, full-color, glossy 10 inch by 10 inch book that features histories and photographs of all Catholic churches in Delaware and Maryland’s Eastern Shore, biographies of all nine Wilmington bishops, with important ministries and events highlighted. Costs $40 each.
2. The Family of Faith is a 35-page, color diocesan history done in the comic book or graphic novel style that would appeal to children in middle school and teens. Costs $18 each.
SESQUICENTENNIAL CUSTOM ROSARY – A custom-designed, limited-edition, dark red and gold rosary is now available to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington. The rosaries, made in Italy by the Ghirelli Company, were blessed at the Vatican by Pope Francis on June 6, 2018 during His Holiness’ Weekly Audience in Saint Peter’s Square.
The Official Custom Rosary of the Diocese of Wilmington’s 150th Anniversary features a crucifix that is designed after the beautiful crucifix in the Cathedral of Saint Peter in Wilmington. The back of the crucifix is engraved with the words, “Catholic Diocese of Wilmington 150th Anniversary 1868 – 2018. The front of the rosary’s centerpiece holds an image of the Blessed Mother from the famous Charles Parks Our Lady of Queen of Peace statue located on the grounds of Holy Spirit Church in New Castle, Delaware. On the centerpiece’s reverse, is an image of Saint Francis de Sales, the Patron Saint of the Diocese of Wilmington. In place of the traditional “Our Father” beads, the rosary has a medal crest of the Diocese of Wilmington, with a map of Delaware and Maryland’s Eastern Shore on the back, indicating the twelve counties that comprise the Diocese. All of the beads are 8 mm dark red Bohemian glass, while the chain and custom features are made of antique gold finish medal. The rosary comes in a commemorative color pouch and is available for a suggested $30.00 donation each, plus shipping and handling. Detailed photographs of the rosary and order forms are available online at www.cdow.org/150th. Order your Sesquicentennial Custom Rosary before they are gone.
MASS AT THE SHRINE OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER (Old Bohemia) – First Saturday of every month through February 2, 2019
St. Francis Xavier Shrine (Old Bohemia), the mother church of the Diocese of Wilmington, is participating in the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington 150th Anniversary Historic Churches Pilgrimage. The final Pilgrimage Mass at the historic church will be offered on Saturday, February 2nd, at 11 am. Fr. Lance Martin will be the celebrant. Guided tours of the church and rectory will be conducted at 9 am, 9:30 am, and 10 am. The rectory museum and historic graveyard will be accessible for individual inspection and study.
Founded in 1704 by Jesuit priests, the Bohemia Mission is one of the oldest permanent Catholic establishments in the English Colonies and is considered the mother church of the Diocese of Wilmington. The plantation was clandestinely established to minister to the scattered Catholics throughout what is now Cecil County, MD, the entire Delmarva Peninsula, and southeastern PA, when Catholicism was outlawed in the English Colonies. The property is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Through the efforts of Francis W. (Frank) Krastel, Sr., a Catholic, and Alfred N. Phillips, a Presbyterian and owner of nearby Worsell Manor, the Old Bohemia Historical Society (OBHS) was established in 1953 as a non-sectarian non-profit corporation. The founding members of the group immediately started major repairs to the church which had fallen into ruin due to neglect. The Society purchased the adjoining 120-acre farm on which the plantation was located and had been sold by the Diocese of Wilmington in 1931.
The Society continues to maintain the site. Income for the upkeep of the buildings and grounds is generated from the collection at five regularly-scheduled Masses at the church every year, fundraisers, membership dues, and donations from benefactors.
The buildings will continue to be open the first Saturday of every month through February 2, 2019 for the Pilgrimage, with Mass celebrated at 11 am. The Society encourages schools, Knights of Columbus Councils, Columbiettes, Altar and Rosary Societies, Sodalities, youth groups, religious education classes, senior groups, Scout groups, and other church groups and ministries to organize a visit on one of the planned Pilgrimage dates or on another date that is convenient. Additionally, groups may arrange for their pastor or associate pastor to celebrate Mass.
For more information or to arrange a tour, please call the OBHS President Marji Matyniak at (302) 328 – 4803 or send an email to OldBohemiaHS@gmail.com. The church is also available for group retreats and weddings. A video about the mission can be viewed on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFGlCsNM6gk. The GPS location of the Bohemia Mission is 1699 Bohemia Church Road, Warwick, MD 21912.